Thank you for supporting MSSNYPAC. The Legislator Scorecard is a summary of the voting and co-sponsorship records of all 213 state legislators on many legislative initiatives of importance to New York State physicians during the 2017-2018 Legislative Session.
Physicians should be aware that there are a variety of factors relevant to sound contribution decisions which are not reflected in a "Scorecard." These include such things as: whether a particular legislator is in the Majority or the Minority; how close the margin is between majority and minority in a particular house; whether a member is chairman of a particularly relevant committee; and, whether a member has a leadership position in the legislative body of which he/she is a member. It is also important to consider such things as: how a legislator is regarded by his or her colleagues; debate participation; and the negotiating role of a particular legislator. Furthermore, in New York State, as in many other states, a great deal of importance takes place behind the scenes. Many times a legislator is extremely helpful in seeing to it that a bad bill never makes it to a committee or floor vote or is substantially amended to address concerns. Scorecards don't reflect that "value" element.
Both membership in MSSNY and monetary contributions to MSSNYPAC are what makes this work possible and what keeps us working on behalf of New York State physicians and their patients every day. Not only do we work proactively on behalf of physicians but we strongly oppose and work to defeat all regressive and inappropriate scope of practice expansion measures put forward by other interests. The collective voice of physicians represented by MSSNY is vitally important and your support is crucial. Thank you.
The six bills supported by MSSNY reviewed by the scorecard include:
- A.9576-B/S.9100 – creates the comprehensive “drug take back program” to require drug companies to pay for drug disposal sites across New York State
- A.3694-C/S.1156-C – requires health insurers to provide data to the NY Department of Financial Services to be publicly reported regarding compliance with mental health and substance abuse coverage “parity” law
- A.9588/S.7872 – enacts a number of measures to reduce health insurer prior authorization hassles facing physicians and their patients
- A.2317-C/S.5022-C – prohibits health insurers from imposing prescription formulary changes or tier-shifting during the middle of a policy year
- A.273/S.3978 – Increases from 18-21 the statewide age to purchase cigarettes
- A.4472/S.3663 – Would permit independently practicing physicians to collectively negotiate with health insurance companies
The four bills opposed by MSSNY included in the scorecard include:
- A.8516/S.6800 – Lengthens the medical liability statute of limitations based upon discovery of misdiagnosis of cancer
- A.2113-A/S.352-A – Requires physicians and hospitals to inquire and document the school attended by their pediatric patients
- A.8123-B/S.6141-D – Prohibits public schools from denying admission to unvaccinated students if their parents submit a form stating that such vaccinations are contrary to their religious beliefs.
- A.8387-C/S.8821-A – Expands the list of health care providers authorized to treat and be reimbursed under Workers Compensation, and limits county medical society authority to credential physicians.
We thank you so very much for your support and being a Force for Change in NYS.